DIVERT TEXTILES FROM LANDFILLS AND SUPPORT OUR LOCAL COMMUNITIES
Textile diversion includes the reuse and recycling of clothing, footwear, bedding, curtains, and other fabrics. The majority of these textiles don’t decompose, making textile waste a growing problem around the world. In Nova Scotia, textile waste accounts for 12% of our solid waste stream. This equals 32 kg per person each year. (Divert NS).
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Recycle or Donate your textiles. By giving your textiles (clothes, bedsheets, fabric, shoes etc.) a second chance you help:
- support social causes in your community when you donate to a non-profit.
- provide useful items to those who need it.
- reduce the amount of textile waste that goes into Nova Scotia landfills.
- help reduce greenhouse emissions.
Other Items Some of Our Members Accept:
- Shoes, purses, luggage, hats, toys, books, games, computers, software, CD’s, kitchen dishes and equipment , small appliances and electronics, furniture, lamps, sports equipment.
- These items cannot be deposited in our donation bins, so please check our members websites (link to WHO WE ARE page) to find out what and where you can donate things other than textiles.
AFTeR members don’t accept*:
- textiles soiled with grease, oil, or other hazardous materials, such as body fluids and mold.
- large appliances.
- blue bag recyclables.
|*Additional exclusions may apply. For a full list of what can be donated, visit our Frequently Asked Questions.|
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?
- Recycle, don’t dispose.
- Shop thrift.
- Host a clothing drive.
- Talk to friends and family about the importance of textile diversion.
Some of our members also offer donation pick-up. To arrange a pick-up, contact:
Become a Corporate Sponsor
If the environment is important to you or your organization email email@example.com for more information or to discuss how we can work together to make a difference.